Tuesday, March 11, 2008

don't judge--it's harder than you would think

ok, first, the event:
today, in one day, i found both a dunkin donuts AND a starbucks.
the good news: i resisted both, and went to a cafe specific to santiago and buenos aires.
the bad news: the dnd is really close to my house and i'm afraid i'll end up going there a time or two.

now, as the title says, don't judge me. anyone who knows me knows that 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year, i have a big mug of drip coffee in the morning, and often thats followed with an afternoon serving as well (volleyball days). so, having been in a country dominated by instant coffee for over 2 months now, the thought of my ol' grande coffee of the day no room for creme is sounding pretty amazing. luckily, i found that other cafe, and ordered a double 'expresso' (i know, not espresso, which kills anyone who's ever worked in a cafe). i also ordered a torta de chocolate, not really knowing what a torta was, and it was one of the most delicious slices of chocolate cake i've ever had. they would never have anything that fresh at sbucks. ja.

along these lines, i did find an AMAZING little cafe close to my university. it's kind of hidden, a french emphasis, second floor with a patio looking on a plazita with a fountain. and not too expensive, although i'm sure i'll have to start rationing myself soon. i went there with a new friend yesterday for the first of what i hope will be many enriching, rejuvenating conversations in that cafe.

in other news, the dollar went down again. i guess it's a good reminder that we unitedstatesians are far from invincible and all-powerful.

i'm going to include a picture at the end of a cappuccino i had at my new cafe, cafe tales, when i went there before traveling, about a month ago.
and, i guess since this is the most coffee-flavored post i've ever done, i'll include a fun little element. during my travels (before my camera broke) i started a little tradition of taking fotos of the different coffees i drank. again, note it's importance in my life.
EVERY foto is of instant coffee. one of the restaurantes, they brought the cup with hot water, and a little packet of instant coffee. seriously.
so obviously, this was more for me, but i'm sure some of you will appreciate it:

first, the amazing cappuccino, with real espresso, at tales:


next, a cafe in puerto montt:


out of my thermos on the bus, definitely the most common form throughout the trip:


a hostel, in punta arenas:


and a cafe in punta arenas:


and finally, camping:



so, i think those are a pretty good representation of the different forms i had coffee while traveling: cafes, hostels, bus, and straight-up wilderness, in a huge metal mug.

chao.

4 comments:

Farm-Raised said...

my favorite post yet, my little coffee drinker. nice photos. i'm proud of you. i'll send some money with your parents so that your budget won't constrict your intake. i would never let that happen. love you!
--leslie

Anonymous said...

That is a great photo of the sunset or sunrise. That piece of glacier is so crystal clear that it is amazing. I am also so proud of you. I am telling everyone of your exploits and your ability to be so self-sufficient. I will send an email to tell you about our travel plans. I am looking forward to another "talk on the phone" session. Love, Papa Frank

Lacey said...

i tell everyone about you too. i have a drop out picture file in my wallet that has the pictures of all my favorite people. my niece, you, then 3 more of my niece and 6 or 7 of you. hahaha, just kidding but seriously, i think you are so great and i miss you drinking coffee around here.

Anonymous said...

you crack me up!! i'm torn between wanting you back here and you staying there so i can read about you =)
first,
i like your use of unitedstatesans... I got points off for using that in a paper - LAME!
and yeah, it's hard to resist American crap when you've been away from it so long, lol
HAPPY EASTER!
mackenzie