Sunday, March 30, 2008

a challenge

so, ive decided that i've grown pretty comfortable in my daily life here in santiago. i'm comfortable with my family, my friends, the house, the neighborhood, the city, and even my spanish. but, i realized, this is leaving me feeling a bit, unsatisfied. i think part of the reason that i'm so comfortable is that i'm not challenging myself as much. i'm still being challenged of course, as most conversations are still challenging to understand, but it's not coming from within. maybe i'm a control freak, but i think i need to direct a bit of this.
so, with that said, i've decided to go on a sabbatical from english this week. that means no speaking, reading, (hopefully) thinking, and listening, as much as i can control. of course, i will need to make exceptions here and there, when i speak with people who don't speak spanish. but for the most part, i'm going to try to push myself away from that comfort of english.
this will include reading the new york times online, which is my favorite news to catch up with the states, listening to sufjan stevens or incubus, which are sometimes of dire necessity, and yes, even reading emails from loved ones. hence, one of the main reasons for this post.
if you try to send me an email, don't be offended if i don't write back for a while. and if this sabbatical goes well, i may extend it a bit longer. i love you all, of course, but it's just something i think i need to do.
if you speak spanish (more of you than will admit...polola...) feel free to write in spanish.
otherwise, i will talk with you all later.
love y amor,
kait y katalina.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kait, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time and quite a learning experience in Chile. I've loved the pictures and your notes and eagerly continue to read about your South American life. Thinking about you often ! Love, Aunt DD