Monday, March 21, 2011

and the now keeps coming.

it's been a while since i've updated here. vast overview: the earth is spinning, some people are suffering, some are laughing, and some are doing both. more specifically, i have moved out of my apartment in chicago and am currently staying at my parents' home in iowa. i was preparing to drop off my stuff, say my goodbyes, and head to japan. however, in light of recent events, my plans are currently on hold. i don't really know anything yet. i'm still planning on going, just not sure when. it was a bit disappointing at first, but considering what has happened and what people are facing in japan, i wouldn't dream of complaining. instead, i'm trying my best to live fully exactly where i am.

some things i have noticed in abundance since i've been here:

--babies. not just my 9(!) nieces and nephews, but others, as well. one day, i went with one of my good friends from grade school and her baby to visit another good friend from school and her baby! lots of babies!

--old people (ironically enough). it's something i always notice when i come to iowa. not that there are more here, i just see them more. i know there are a lot of old people in chicago, i just don't see them. unless they're super rich and come into the restaurant.

--trees. it is so wonderful to smell trees and grass when i go out running. so wonderful.

--big cars. there are a lot of really, really big cars here. and a lot of trucks. you don't see as many pick-ups in the city.

--those shoes with the individual toes. they freak me out a bit, but i've seen them on multiple people here, and i don't think i've ever seen them in chicago. then again, they don't seem like something i would see in a restaurant or in my working-class mexican neighborhood...


general t.t.m.m.h. (things that make me happy):

--riding my bike on the bike trail here--trees and creeks and people that actually look at you and say good morning! lovely.
--playing my parents' baby grand piano.
--hanging with my brothers. i love getting to be with all of my family, but i've known them for 24 years, and for most of those, i was waiting for the day when we could be good friends and just hang out. it never gets old.
--hanging with my sisters-in-law. it's a lot like hanging with my brothers, except they're chicks, so we can talk girl stuff. and we can make fun of my brothers. bastards.
--a family of litero-philes. (i made that up.) when i'm in iowa, especially for a little longer time, my library basically quadruples.
--re-reading the fountainhead by ayn rand. i think it's my spring tradition. challenging and inspiring.

and a new section for the blog, inspired by the lovely megan, crazy shit i saw today (c.s.i.s.t):

--"knight" practice going on the park. full costumes, although the armor was like nerf-ish.
--3, count 'em 3, people i went to high school with in the "engagements and marriages" section of the sunday paper. i should be used to it by now, but it's the sheer volume, i think.

y'all got any good ones?

3 comments:

LCMomX4 said...

I remember having to have to read The Fountainhead in high school and getting the Cliff notes instead. Then as soon as I graduated I read it and loved it. Go figure. I'm sure your parents are loving having you stay with them for awhile as well as your brothers, sisters-in-law, nephews and for now niece love being able to visit with you.

Cass said...

Love you! you should come visit me and J soon!! Hope you are surviving at your parents house!

Megan said...

whoa whoa whoa. are we posting craziest shit we've seen?! if so, the world needs to be prepared for me to offend. a lot.

(!! i got a shout-out!!! )

i love the "knight" practice. freakin' awesome. you should have asked some random question. just to equally throw them off.