Tuesday, December 1, 2009

december musings. day one.

it's been quite some time since i've posted here, so i'm not sure if anyone is still checking. but, regardless, i'm going to start something for december.

for each of the 31 days of december, i'm going to write (probably briefly) about something that happened/that i saw that day that i found particularly beautiful, inspiring, or worthy of gratitude. i'm not sure where it'll take me, but i'm interested to find out.


day one.

the view from the pink line (train) just as it pulls out of the loop and opens up over the chicago river.

every time i'm facing the north and see this view, especially at night, i smile. i can't control it. there is something about that moment when the city seems to open up a bit, to seem less busy, less cold, less hurried. i've begun to look forward to it at the station before. and tonight, as i saw it, i felt really grateful to get to see it almost every day. and decided i should document it, inspiring me to do this experiment during december.

if you're so inclined, please feel free to do the same. i would love to know what is making you happy to be alive.

peace.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

where's Dec 2nd??

Anonymous said...

Very nice Kate,
I have similar feeling as I come from the north side, with the bike.
Lake shore makes a small turn left and then right immediately after Belmont Ave exit. I make sure that police are not on the right waiting with the radar, so I decrease the speed, relax my body, and lean back a little. Fully relaxed I approach the Fullerton exit.
Next is the bridge over the Fullerton, where I cannot see much except the asphalt in front. Traffic ahead, sinks down and disappears after it passes the bridge, and I have to stay alert. I lift my head little up and to the left so I can see it better. Boathouse and canal with few fishermen are on the right. Lake Michigan and the sight of the North Beach crowded with people are on the left. But lastly, in a straight line ahead of me, urban, beautiful, and magnificent Chicago skyline appears.
This is the moment when my eyebrows decide to lift up the goggles. When my face relaxes and allows wind to win their battle. Moment where Chicago physically puts a smile on my face and I keep it until the North Ave Bridge, after which I increase the speed, bend forward, and completely let myself in to this nice urban living. :-)

Igor