Saturday, February 2, 2008

casi lista/almost ready

monday i leave for my month-long trip around southern chile/argentina. i could not be more excited. rough itinerary:
-leave monday, 12-hour busride (the SHORT one) to puerto montt
-stay there for 2 nights, leave wednesday morning
-30-hour busride to the southern tip (i know, we're crazy. my host brother taught me to say "my ass is cubed." okay, it doesnt really translate, but it means you sat in a chair for too long.)
-backpacking in torres del paine national park, known as best place to visit in south america
-back to puerto montt, explore the region
-another part of lake region for lakes, beaches, volcanoes, islands, etc.

so, obviously, it should be amazing. it'll prob be pricey because we're tourists and its vacation season, but it'll be worth it. when will i ever get to do this again. (hopefully soon actually.)

i'm going to "jumbo," the walmart of south america, in a while to pick up some last minute supplies. thank god i've been so well-outfitted by a good family friend. i don't have to buy anything but toiletries and food. and my host mom came home with a bag of chocolate things, coffee, and tea for me for the trip. she knows me so well already. :)

obviously, i will be nearly unavailable to be reached while i'm traveling, with only a few opportunities to check email in hostels here and there. so if you email me, thats why i don't respond.

and finally, a reflection.
as i'm preparing to leave, i've been thinking a lot about a few quotes by an artist from iowa named brian andreas. and as i'm literally traveling to the edge of the world (if ever there was one), this one has been echoing to me:

"they came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good & true things they would do someday."

i hope this trip not only reminds me that the world is an incredible gift in which it is a privilege to dangle my feet, but it's a place in which we can and will do good and true things. there are images of beauty and images of suffering, and in truth, they are indistinguishable. i think the key is seeing both in everything and understanding the equilibrio(balance.)

paz, aqui y en todas partes
(peace, here and everywhere)

3 comments:

Lacey said...

it was so great to hear your voice again today. cuanto te extraño...

Anonymous said...

WOW, It was wonderful seeing your face and talking with you yesterday with the family on the computer. It was great to meet your Chilean sister, at least in cyberspece. Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to hear about it and see some to the pictures. Also, I got everything submitted for my passport.

Anonymous said...

Oh how my heart aches...I miss you so much. And now more distance and more time. The quotes I am thinking about are not pretty. But God will make the time short until I feast upon your beautiful eyes once again. Remain full of wonder and harmony and balance, and know I AM praying for your abundant life. Mommy