Thursday, January 24, 2008

(not-so-)mini-update

i don't really have anything new to say, but i've had so many people tell me that they read my blog (they're probably all lying), that now i feel pressured to keep up. so, here goes:
--i've actually been busy this week, with presentations and projects for class, plus an application for loyola that will be a lot of work. but, it's been great to have things to do.
--i finally got to spend time with my friend sarah who did this program two years ago and lives here now, so that was amazing. it's really life-giving (megan-word) to have a friend who knows me. someone i can mention a family member or friend to, and not have to explain. and also, it's great to be that for someone.
--we're starting our travel plans to the south of chile, and i'm getting really, really excited.
--it's kind of crunch time for the language, i feel. my english is definitely suffering, especially in thought, but i can't just think in spanish yet either, so when i want a word, i cant think of it in either language. it's rough. and like i've mentioned, one day i'll go to bed thinking "this is great, i'm practically fluent," and the next i'll night i'll be thinking "i don't know anything. i'm not sure what i was doing the last 8 years of spanish class."
--i hung out with my host brother and his girlfriend for a while a few nights ago (i can finally kind of understand him) and i really like them. i hear he studies a ton once school starts (med-school) so i'm hoping she'll want to be my friend. :)
--i'm continually being challenged with discussions and readings about poverty and development, the theme of this program. if you ever want a glimpse into my thoughts on the subject and the theories that get me passionate, check out chapter one of "pedagogy of the oppressed" by paulo freire. i read it before i got here, but i'm reading it again as i keep learning. i'd love to discuss it over email with you all.
--i'm discovering chilean folk music, and it is absolutely breath-taking. it's so amazing to learn, slowly, that each country, of which there are what, thousands?, each has it's own bloody, painful, inspiring, and beautiful past--and the mediums that go along with recording and expressing that. in the states we have bob dylan, joni mitchell, sufjan stevens (damn straight). in chile they have violeta parra, victor jara, nicanor parra. and every country the same. how amazing this world is.

okay, thats all i got for now. just as a warning, i leave for traveling in about a week and a half, for about 4 weeks, during which i will rarely have internet access. so, if you've been dying to tell me anything, do it soon. chao.

love and peace.
amor y paz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great getting to talk with you on the phone the other day. However your blog is even more mind expanding. I love to read about and in a small way experience what you are learning. I can't wait to get the next installment.

LCMomX4 said...

I've just got to say I love you. I'm excited about the adventure you are experiencing. I hope you have the time of your life.
Love, Aunt Lori